Monday, June 06, 2005

My addiction

Coffee, my best friend, and worst enemy. For as long as I can remember, my mother has had a cup of coffee in her hand. She drinks it as soon as she wakes up in the morning, up until she goes to bed at night. I can remember occasions of her waking up to find that there was no coffee, and on these mornings my dad would have to walk to the nearst store (when we had no car) to buy a pound of coffee, to satisfy his highly addicted wife. Ladies and gentlemen, I am now that highly addicited wife.....
I started drinking coffee as a young teen as I'm sure most of us do. 'Going out for coffee' was the thing to do. Of course I'd add two tablespoons of sugar so that I'd have the pleasure of the syrupy goodness at the bottom of each cup. But as my tastebuds ajusted to this aquired taste, they matured to the point where I was able to drink coffee like 'big people' with only a half teaspoon of sugar. MMMmmmmm........
Coffee drinking remained an evening pleasure up until I started attending Nutana Collegiate. I had been out of school for a couple of years already, so going back was a shock to my system and routine (or lack of one). I would get up with my parents, and share a cup of coffee with my mom. This is when my 'morning coffee' gained it's ground and importance. I was still smoking, so my coffee and cigarette became my morning crutch. I could no longer function without this. I had become, my mother.
Later on durring that same year, I met a friend. Him and I were bums. We did nothing durring the day, nothing that was productive anyways. He drank coffee in the afternoon, and introduced me to this afternoon pick-me-up. I was now drinking coffee in the mornings, afternoons and evenings. It wasn't until I moved out on my own, and having to buy my own groceries, I experienced one of those mornings I witnessed growing up, when I would wake up to find there was no coffee. However, I had no husband to send to the nearest corner store, so I went without. I wasn't aware I was going through withdrawls until I read in a book that coffee withdrawl brings on horrible headaches.
Today, I have a headache. My husband and I have run out of coffee, and the only thing in our home is decaf. But we're going to the grocery store later today to pick up a few things, one of them being my drug, that seems to keep it's grip on me for now. Maybe one day, among the many other things I've cut of my life, coffee will be one of them. And I'll be like all the other normal people who wake up and eat breakfast instead of caffeine, or who go out and order herbal tea. Maybe I'll be one of those normal people who can't drink coffee after a certain time of day or it'll keep them up all night.
But after all, where would we be without the precious coffee bean?

"A morning without coffee is like, sleep"

"Oh bother! said Pooh, as he put his coffee in the microwave"

"Breakfast: coffee and a straw"

"COFFEE.EXE file not found: (a)bort? (r)etry? (p)anic?"

"Filther: a used coffee filter"

With all the trials that come with my addiction to America's favorite drug, I love my coffee. It's my best friend, and worst enemy.
-Nin

2 comments:

  1. Amen sister
    Someone who speaks my language. I have found that a strong cup of black tea does the trick in a pinch (when I am out). Takes the edge off without the flavor. Us coffee
    addicts need to stay together. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:35 PM

    when and if you ever DO get off the coffee addiction, you will get to experience what quenching your thirst really is like....instead of having a substance rob you of valuable nutrients and vitamins, you could be replenishing it....I believe you will be normal someday! well, as normal as my sister can get...which is far from it...hee hee

    ReplyDelete