List 10 Food Staples in your kitchen and tell *why* they are so important, and *how* you use them....
1. Milk: My son still has warm milk at night and naptime (he may be our last so I don't care!), and my daughter has cereal every morning before school. It's the kind of staple that if we realize we're out at 11 pm, someone goes out and gets some, and by someone, I mean my hubby.
2. Fat Free Yogurt: Everyone's a big fan of this healthy snack. I pack it in daughter's lunch, hubby and I snack on it in the evening, and we usually mix in some granola with almonds and raisins.
3. Green Tea: My new best friend. Now that I'm off coffee, I drink green tea everyday with a bit of honey. I used to hate the taste, but I started liking it more and more when I'd have it at Asian restaurants. Now I love it.
4. Broccoli: Have been going through a broccoli phase and it is the greatest vegetable in the world. I don't like it raw though, has to be steamed.
5. Sanwich meat: Most likely some sort of lean turkey for me, and honey ham for daughter's lunch's, which she likes to take as is, just the meat, no bread.
6. Calorie-reduced margarine: When I did Weight Watchers, my sis explained that there were things you could just cut out completely, so that you didn't use points in places you didn't need to or would'nt miss. However, I could never get rid of margarine, I love it a ton..... hence, calorie-reduced.
7. Kraft Creamy Poppyseed calorie-wise dressing: Also going through a poppyseed dressing phase, where it is the best dressing ever, and I top it with roasted almonds.
8. Crystal Light: I used to be the only one who would drink it, since it was a bit pricier than other juices, and since I was the one watching my calories at that time. But then I realized, that's dumb, my kids don't need the sugar any more than I do! So now it's all we drink. I've been sending it in daughters lunch instead of juice boxes too.
9. Chicken: My favorite meat. If I go a while without eating it, I will actually crave it. We buy frozen chicken breasts, and will either bbq them or bake them. (Our faves are greek and honey-garlic)
10. Shrimp: My other favorite. It's so easy, so healthy, so quick, and so yummy. I can go through a bag in a few days. And I never feel bad after eating a ton, cuz they feel so light in my stomach. I make them in a frying pan with tangy thai sauce, and will mix in peppers and hot sauce.
Am seriously interested in what your staples are!!!