Saturday, June 19, 2010

I don't have a green thumb. My thumb isn't even remotely green. I've learned over the years that live plants do not add life and color to my house. Instead, they show my true colors to my friends and family, that I am not responsible enough to care, tend to, and water my plants.

This year however, I've decided to throw out the rule book I've authored for myself, and claim that I am not defined by what I am not. Along with many other crazy deeds, some regretted and some not, I decided to take a deep breath, and plant some perennials. It's still undetermined whether these poor plants will live or die, as I've already killed one shrub, but, so far so good.
I was outside this morning, enjoying my shot of "fresh" air, and noticed that one of my perennials (of which I have NO idea what it's called, because I have NO idea what I planted) was completely wilted. I thought it was dead, and beyond repair. I quickly grabbed the hose and watered the crap out of mr. nameless wilting perennial. To my amazement, just a few hours later, it looked as good as new, lifeless and gorgeous.


I'm thinking, this might be how it is with God. When we're wilting, because of all the heat and dry weather life might be throwing at us, or even because of our own refusal for water, it only takes ONE dose of water from Gods well to bring us back. So many times, I look at myself when I'm wilting, unable to see my beauty. How can a flower that's wilting still be beautiful? But Gods eyes are so much bigger than mine, and He sees my FULL potential when He looks at me.

I could very well kill all my perennials. I have no idea what I'm doing. I know that it might only take one irresponsible day of being too lazy to water them, to find they've all died a slow and painful death. So be it. If I could grab hold of this simple message, it'd be worth it. (just don't tell my husband I said that, because I spent way too much money on these stupid plants.)

No comments:

Post a Comment